The beautiful sunny day defied the late September date for the event, temperatures reaching 28C during the day!
The windows of our 'pop-up office' for the day were opened, allowing us to take in the full impact of the breathtaking views while we worked, and to savour the crisp, clean air of the Tyne Valley.
Lunch was tasty, homemade fayre served in the dining room, enjoyed while getting acquainted with fellow co-workers. As usual an eclectic and interesting mix of people. A web designer, 2 accountants, a writer, an IT consultant, a well-being through movement coach, a marketing consultant, a virtual PA ('the admin doctor'!), a strategic adviser and the day's hosts from Space on Tap.
Making Money from Social Media.
Co-workers exchanged views and experiences of the range of social media they've used, and the indirect and direct benefits they'd achieved from it. Here's a quick synopsis:
Social media used by the group - ultimately it really is down to personal choice and preference, but it was generally agreed that the broader your range of tools, the broader your audience will become and the greater the impact will be.
- The usual suspects (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Video/image media (YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr)
- Alternative chat facilities (Ping and Myspace)
Impacts of using social media: expected and experienced
- Improved search engine rankings
- Profile - business and personal
- New customers (usually through indirect conversation, not hard selling)
- New suppliers and associates (through effective use of keywords to find people with specialist skills)
- New employee/job through a 'friend of a friend'
- Expanded networks without attending events (although it was generally agreed that meeting people face to face can reinforce online relationships
Every member of the group is using social media in some form or another, and to varying degrees. It was acknowledged that to have a real impact it needs a time investment, and it's difficult to commit that without being certain of the rewards.
© Copyright Space on Tap Oct 2011